Admissions Questions

How do I apply for admission?

HCC's application for admission is online!

If I want to talk to a "real person" about admissions, who do I call?

We have enrollment specialists on campus and across the nine counties that we serve in Northeast Kansas. Please follow the link under Enrollment Contacts, depending upon where you would like to attend. 

Is there an application fee?

No! It’s free to apply for admission at HCC.

Do I have to take the ACT or placement tests to attend HCC?

HCC does not require ACT or SAT scores in order to be admitted, but does require placement scores for reading, English and math.  For more information on placement testing, click here.

When can I take the appropriate placement tests for HCC?

Every spring, HCC offers placement testing in a variety of locations. If you are going to be a new student attending the Highland campus, you will have the opportunity to take a placement test on enrollment day or before. Check out the placement testing locations and dates.

I am an out of state student. Are there special admissions requirements for non-Kansas residents?

Yes, there are. Please read HCC's out of state student requirements.

I am an International Student. What are HCC's admissions requirements for me?

There are special admissions requirements for International Students. Please let us know if you have questions.


Enrollment Questions

How do I enroll? 

After students apply online, all applicants attending the Highland campus will receive information on enrollment days held in the spring for new fall students.  Students attending a regional center or online classes will receive an email with MyHCC account information that allows online enrollment immediately. For more information about enrollment please contact the enrollment specialist serving the campus or center you want to attend. Click here for a listing of the HCC campus New Student Enrollment Days.


Academic Questions

What academic programs are offered through HCC?

HCC offers a wide variety of programs. Visit our academic program website for more information.

Does HCC Offer Technical Programs?

Yes. HCC's Technical Center is located 30 miles south of the Highland campus in Atchison, KS. There are technical programs offered in 5 different divisions: Business, Computer Technology, Service Occupations, Industrial Technology, and Transportation.

Full-time students attending the Highland Community College Technical Center in Atchison may live on the main campus in Highland, KS. Students may also choose to attend part-time on the main campus and part-time at the technical center. A daily shuttle runs between the Technical Center in Atchison and the Highland campus. For a modest fee, students will not have to have a car to live on the Highland campus and attend the Technical Center in Atchison.

For more information on programs offered at the Technical Center, please visit our website.

How can I find a class that HCC offers?

Log on to our "find a class" link. If you would like to see a pre-sorted list of classes based upon where you are taking your Highland class, click here


Scholarships, Financial Aid, and Payments

Are there scholarships available?

Scholarships are available for students attending the Highland campus. Click here to learn about HCC scholarships that are available. Over 80 percent of on-campus students receive a book and tuition scholarship. There are also limited scholarships available for regional students. Students and parents are encouraged to review all scholarship requirements. Various grade point averages, participation, attendance, and membership requirements are associated with HCC scholarships. Click here to locate the requirements for each academic scholarship area. For more information, contact your scholarship sponsor.

How do I get started with the financial aid process?

The best thing to do is to review the financial aid information on our website. Our step by step guide is most helpful.  If you have questions, please call the financial aid office at 785.442.6135 or email During busy times, you may have to leave a message and our office will return your call. Feel free to email your questions as well.

How do I pay my bill?

All students can pay their bills online through their MyHCC account. Bills may also be paid by credit card in the business office by calling 785-442-6001 or by mailing a check to the HCC Business Office, 606 West Main, Highland, KS  66035.

Can I make payments?

Highland Community College offers payment plans as, yet, another way to make college more affordable. This payment plan is administered by Nelnet Business Solutions. Any student taking an HCC course may finance their tuition, fees, and main campus housing via one of the payment plans. There is a $25 non-refundable fee due immediately to establish the payment plan. 

Students may set up a payment plan in their name, or they may authorize a parent, guardian or another individual to set up a payment plan on their behalf. For more information regarding our payment plan, refer to our website

Can you tell me more about financial aid and the FAFSA?

All students who want to access federal loans or grants to attend college must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The new FAFSA may be completed after January 1 of each year. It is important that students complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 in order to be eligible for accessing federal Pell grants and loans. When completing the FAFSA, you will need to enter Highland Community College's code. HCC's Federal School Code for the FAFSA is 001921.

The federal government selects many students for verification after the FAFSA is complete and before aid is awarded. This is a process to confirm that certain information provided on the FAFSA is correct. It does not mean that anything on the FAFSA has been completed incorrectly. As a matter of fact, going through the verification process could sometimes increase a student's award amount. This process, however, does slow the process of receiving aid. All documents requested by the financial aid office should be completed as soon as possible so that your aid package may be calculated.

At HCC, April 1 is the priority date for offering financial aid packages for the following fall. Students who complete the FAFSA and verification process after July 1 each year, will most likely NOT have their aid package completed in time for the fall semester. 

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Students must meet satisfactory academic progress guidelines to be able to continue to access financial aid. Please read the policy in its entirety so that you understand what you have to do to continue to receive grants and loans from the federal government and scholarships from HCC.



Does HCC have housing?

HCC offers apartment-style living for students attending the Highland campus or the HCC Technical Center in Atchison. All housing is located on the Highland campus. Click here for more information about housing. 

If I decide to leave housing in the middle of the semester, will I be charged?

Students in campus housing have signed a contract to “rent” the housing for a year. Students canceling housing using our online cancellation form before June 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester will receive a refund of their deposit and be released from their contract.

Students canceling housing using our online cancellation form after the above dates, but before registration day may be released from the contract, but will not receive a refund of the housing deposit.

After registration day, students will not be released from the housing contract and will be expected to pay rent for the academic year. Students who are dismissed from housing for disciplinary reasons will not receive a housing refund.

All terms and conditions for HCC housing are listed on the contract and on our website at Housing Contract Terms and Conditions 

What does it cost to go to school at HCC?

We know you’ll find HCC to be an affordable college choice. Check out our affordability graph and our tuition costs.

How do I get logged on to my email, the network and access the internet at HCC?

Please check out our information on the Highland Network!

How do I find out what’s going on at HCC?

Check out our online calendar. Please note that users may sort the calendar for academic activities and athletic activities. All students should sign up for Scottie Alerts. Scottie alerts are text messages sent out to all who sign up for the service. Announcements about activities and special dates on the HCC campus as well as all regional centers are available.

HCC is using a new app called HCC Engage! Download it from your App store. Then, log in using your HCC email address. You may join groups, access important information, communicate with other HCC students, and learn more about upcoming events. 

Does HCC have a Mobile Application?

Yes! Download the Scottie Mobile application on your mobile phone. Type in to download the mobile app.

Can parents access student accounts?

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) allows HCC to release student directory information i.e. student addresses, emails, majors, and some additional information.

FERPA DOES NOT allow HCC to give information on grades, SS numbers, student schedules, or student account information to anyone, including parents UNLESS the student has given consent by signing the appropriate forms from the registrar’s office or giving consent online. These forms are also available on enrollment day. 

Can I change my schedule after I enroll?

All on-campus students should consult their advisor before changing their class schedules. However, yes, students may change class schedules after initial enrollment.

After the semester starts, students must be enrolled and seated in the class before the 3rd class meeting (for classes meeting twice or three times per week). 

What if I drop my classes? Am I still charged?

Generally speaking-

100% refunds are given if the class is officially dropped within the first week of classes.

50% refunds are given if the class is officially dropped within the first 2 weeks of the class.

0% refunds are given if requested at the beginning of the 3rd week of classes.

(See further definitions in HCC catalog.) 

Does HCC provide services for students with disabilities?

Yes. Please visit our disabilities page on the HCC website for more information and contact numbers. Students are welcome to submit a self-identification form to the disabilities coordinator.
What are some of the other services provided for students at HCC?
Medical Services-The Highland Clinic, associated with the Hiawatha Community Hospital, Hiawatha, KS, is 1/2 block from campus at 415 West Main, Highland, KS. 785-442-3213
Laundry Facilities-Laundry facilities are located across the street from campus at Stop and Shop.
ATM's/Banks in Highland-The Bank of Highland is located at 402 West Main, Highland, KS.785-442-3223. ATM machines are located at Casey's General Store and Stop and Shop.
Please consult our Student Services Resources page for important information about HCC services.

I will be a student-athlete at HCC. Where do I direct my questions about athletic participation?

All HCC Student-Athletes will receive a packet of information from the athletic department asking for documentation on student insurance, physical forms, etc. These may be turned into the Athletic Director or his administrative assistant on enrollment day or sent back to the Athletic Office at 606 West Main, Highland, KS. You may also contact your coach for more information.

Any and all athletic questions may be directed to Athletic Director, Tyler Nordman at or 785.442.6040. 

What are some other student expectations at HCC?

Become acquainted with academic resources and USE them. HCC has free tutors available for all subjects.

Get involved on campus. The more you are involved, the more successful you will be. Membership in one of HCC's student organizations is a great idea?

Advocate for yourself. Students are expected to take care of problems as they arise. Don’t depend on parents to advocate for you. This is a learning process.

Be informed. Check your MyHCC accounts often. This includes your student email. 


What's Happening At Highland