Participants may register for the workshop here. Highland Community College will host a 3-D... Read More
Form 1098-T Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find my Form 1098-T?
Form 1098-T will be available for electronic download via your My HCC Account on Friday, January 18.
- Login: Lastname.Firstname
- Password: Chosen by you! If you forgot your password, please choose Forgot Password to reset.
- Once you're logged in choose the Consents & Reports tab to begin.
- For step by step pictures on how to download your Form 1098-T please click HERE!
- For a video on how to download your Form 1098-T please watch HERE!
What is a Form 1098-T?
- Higher education institutions are required under Internal Revenue Code Section 6050S to issue the Form 1098-T for the purpose of determining a tax payer's eligibility for various tax credits and/or deductions. More information on the 1098-T form can be found at www.irs.gov or by contacting the IRS at: 1-800-829-1040
Why do my payments to HCC not match up to my Form 1098-T?
- Payments are only recorded in Box 1 for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses (QTRE).
- Payments must be made between January 1, 2018 & December 31, 2018 to count towards your 2018 Form 1098-T.
- Payments made in December 2017 for the Spring 2018 Semester would have been credited towards your 2017 1098-T.
What is considered a Qualified Tuition and Related Expense (QTRE)?
- Course Materials required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.
What is not considered a Qualified Tuition and Related Expense (QTRE)?
- Amounts paid for any course or other education involving sports, games, or hobbies, unless the course or other education is part of the student's degree program or is taken to acquire or improve job skills.
- Medical Expenses
- Similar personal, living or family expenses.
Are the cost of my textbooks already included in my Form 1098-T?
- If you participated in HCC's textbook rental program, then yes your textbooks costs are included.
What does each box on my Form 1098-T represent?
- Box 1: The dollar amount paid towards Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses (QTRE)
- Box 2: Is intentionally blank in 2018. The IRS is requiring all schools to report payments received.
- Box 3: The IRS has required all schools to report the Payments Received Method starting in 2018. Since we previously reported amounts billed we have checked this box to reflect the change in reporting method.
- Box 4: Adjustments made for a prior year. Any refunds or reimbursements made in 2018 that relate to payments received and reported to the IRS in any prior year. Since this is our first year reporting payments received, there will be no adjustments made in box 4 this year.
- Box 5: The total amount of scholarships and grants received by a student during the calendar year.
- Box 6: Adjustments to scholarships or grants from a prior year. This box reflects any reduction in scholarships or grants made during the 2018 calendar year towards a prior years Form 1098-T.
My Social Security number is wrong or missing on my Form 1098-T?
- Please call our Admissions Office for Social Security related questions only at (785) 442-6020
Why did I receive a Form 1098-T? Help!
- Highland Community College cannot provide tax advice.
- Please visit www.irs.gov for more information.
- Or visit the About Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement HERE!
Have additional Form 1098-T questions not answered above?
- Please call our Business Office at (785) 442-6001
- Or email us at email@example.com