Form 1098-T Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find my Form 1098-T?
Form 1098-T will be available for electronic download via your My HCC Account by Monday, February 1, 2021.
- Login: Lastname.Firstname
- Password: Chosen by you! If you forgot your password, please choose Forgot Password to reset.
- Please call our help desk at (785) 442-6060 for additional password assistance.
- Once you're logged in choose the Consents & Reports tab to begin.
- For step by step pictures on how to download your Form 1098-T please click HERE!
- For a video on how to download your Form 1098-T please watch HERE!
What is a Form 1098-T?
- Higher education institutions are required under Internal Revenue Code Section 6050S to issue the Form 1098-T for the purpose of determining a tax payer's eligibility for various tax credits and/or deductions. More information on the 1098-T form can be found at www.irs.gov or by contacting the IRS at: 1-800-829-1040
Why do my payments to HCC not match up to my Form 1098-T?
- Payments are only recorded in Box 1 for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses (QTRE).
- Payments must be made between January 1, 2020 & December 31, 2020 to count towards your 2020 Form 1098-T.
What is considered a Qualified Tuition and Related Expense (QTRE)?
- Course Materials required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.
What is not considered a Qualified Tuition and Related Expense (QTRE)?
- Amounts paid for any course or other education involving sports, games, or hobbies, unless the course or other education is part of the student's degree program or is taken to acquire or improve job skills.
- Medical Expenses
- Similar personal, living or family expenses.
Are the cost of my textbooks already included in my Form 1098-T?
- If you participated in HCC's textbook rental program, then yes your textbooks costs are included.
What does each box on my Form 1098-T represent?
- Box 1: The dollar amount paid towards Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses (QTRE)
- Box 2: This box is reserved for future use.
- Box 3: This box is reserved for future use.
- Box 4:
- Payments received. Enter reimbursements or refunds of QTRE made in 2020 that relate to payments received that were reported for any prior year after 2002.
- Amounts billed. Enter any reductions in charges made for QTRE made during the calendar year that relate to amounts billed that were reported for any prior year after 2002.
- Box 5: The total amount of scholarships and grants received by a student during the 2020 calendar year.
- Box 6: The amount of any reduction to the amount of scholarships or grants that were reported for any prior year after 2002.
- Box 7: Checkbox for Amounts for an Academic Period Beginning in January Through March of 2021. This box is checked if any payments received for QTRE reported for 2020 relate to an academic period that begins in January through March of 2021.
Box 8: This box is checked if at Least Half-Time Student
My Social Security number is wrong or missing on my Form 1098-T?
- Please call our Admissions Office for Social Security related questions only at (785) 442-6020
Why did I receive a Form 1098-T? Help!
- Highland Community College cannot provide tax advice.
- Please visit www.irs.gov for more information.
- Or visit the About Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement HERE!
Have additional Form 1098-T questions not answered above?
- Please call our Business Office at (785) 442-6001
- Or email us at email@example.com