Highland Community College

Admission Requirements

Kansas & Out of State Applicants

Open admission for all graduates of an accredited high school.

GED - An average test score of 450*

*(The GED test must be taken prior to enrollment at Highland Community College.)

Please ask your high school counselor to mail a transcript so HCC may verify admission requirements.   A final transcript is required after graduation.  
Mail Transcripts directly to:
HCC Admissions
606 W Main
Highland, KS 66035   













Admission Information

Rights of the College

The College reserves the right to deny a student admission or readmission if considered detrimental to the best interests of the college community or if the College is unable to provide the services, courses or program(s) needed to assist the student in meeting educational objectives.


Regular Student Admission

Any applicant who has graduated from an accredited high school or has successfully passed the General Educational Development (GED) examination is eligible to enroll at Highland Community College. If the applicant meets neither of these requirements, admission as a special student should be sought.


All students applying for regular admission must:

  • Complete an application for admissions.
  • Submit a current high school or GED transcript and a complete official transcript upon graduation.
  • Submit official college transcripts from each college attended.
  • Submit ACT/SAT scores OR arrange to take appropriate placement test.
  • Comply with Tuberculosis Screening Requirement (excludes online only students). See “Additional Admissions Requirement for Face-to-Face Classroom Settings.”


Regular students are eligible to receive federal financial aid and may earn a certificate and or degree, and may be eligible to compete in intercollegiate athletics. International students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid.


Note: Students not submitting all official transcripts from all previously attended institutions prior to completion of entering term will be changed to “Special Student” for the next term and not be eligible to receive federal financial aid.


Special Student Admission

A person may be admitted to Highland Community College as a special student if the student meets one of the following criteria:

  • Is not seeking an approved certificate or degree from Highland.
  • Is taking classes for personal enrichment.
  • Is a high school/home school sophomore, junior or senior with permission from the high school/home school administrator.
  • Is a high school/home school student enrolled in approved gifted program with permission from the high school/home school administrator.
  • Is taking classes to transfer to another school.
  • Comply with Tuberculosis Screening Requirement (excludes online only students). See “Additional Admissions Requirement for Face-to-Face Classroom Settings.”


*Special students are not required to submit transcripts, are not eligible for federal financial aid and most institutional aid, are not eligible to earn a certificate or degree from Highland, and are not eligible to complete in intercollegiate athletics. Student services will be available upon the student’s request. For purposes of placement, special students may be required to submit placement scores, college transcripts, or be assessed prior to enrollment. Special students taking face-to-face classes must comply with “Additional Admissions Requirement for Face-to-Face Classroom Settings.”


Changing Status from Special Student to Regular Student

Concurrent Students and other Special Students who wish to change their status from special student to regular student must contact the Highland Campus Admissions Office at admissions@highlandcc.edu.


Transfer Students

A transfer student must meet all of the regular student admissions requirements. HCC reserves the right to determine which transfer courses will fulfill graduation or departmental program requirements. A maximum of forty-seven (47) credit hours may be transferred to HCC and applied toward a degree, including hours transferred from other institutions as well as qualifying CLEP test credits.


Prior to registration, students transferring to HCC are required to submit official transcripts of all credits earned at other institutions. The Registrar will evaluate successfully completed coursework from accredited institutions. If accepted as satisfying degree requirements, these transfer hours will be counted towards graduation and will be counted in the calculation of the GPA. A transfer student must complete sixteen (16) credit hours at Highland Community College to be eligible for graduation.


Repeating a Course

Highland Community College will transcript both the original and any repeated course. The highest will be used in computing the cumulative grade point average.


International Applicants

For purpose of admissions, international applicants are defined as all persons who are not citizens nor permanent residents of the United States. An international applicant must meet ALL of the following requirements.


1. Submission of an HCC application for admission highlandcc.edu/pages/apply (at least three months prior to the beginning of the semester which application is being made)


2. Submission of officialtranscripts from all secondary schools and universities attended. Student must have a 3.0 minimum GPA on a 4.0 scale in secondary school.

a.  If English translation is needed: Students must have their foreign credits evaluated by an accredited, independent agency such as:

World Education Services (wes.org), Educational Perspectives (educational-perspectives.org), or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. ( ece.org).

b.  If English translation is not needed: Transcripts must be mailed, faxed, or emailed directly from the institution to HCC Student Services, 606 W. Main, Highland, KS 66035 Fax: 785-442-6106 or Email: admissions@highlandcc.edu


3. Submission of evidence of the ability to communicate in English, which will permit reasonable academic progress, through the following methods: a. Completion of a minimum of 15 weeks in an  approved Intensive Language Center OR b. A score on the Test of English as a Foreign 

Language (TOEFL) of one of the following: ·500 (paper-based) ·173 (computer-based) ·61 (internet-based)


4. Submission of an affidavit of support from a sponsor in the United States or abroad. A financial statement from a bank is suggested.

5. Payment of $150 housing deposit and signed housing contract for HCC campus housing or provide written verification from a sponsor living within 30 mile radius of Highland campus or other HCC regional site the student is planning to attend.


6. Payment of $100 I-20 processing fee, which is credited toward fees in the semester for which the I-20 is issued.


7. Provide a copy of current passport (photo identification). Before receiving F-1 visa, student must pay the $200 SEVIS fee for the I-901 document online at ice.gov/sevis/i901.


After Arriving at Campus (international)


8. Provide proof of adequate health insurance, which includes coverage for medical evacuation, repatriation, and medical coverage while in US.


9. Provide copy of F-1 Visa to Student Services Office.


10. Provide a negative Tuberculosis (TB) test obtained within the US. TB skin tests are valid for 24 months. TB chest X-rays are valid for exactly five years. A paper screening is required each year to know if further testing or medication is needed. Students with an x-ray must see a health professional for a review each year. A retest before the test expires is required or the student will not be allowed to enroll and/or attend classes.