Seven Steps to Completing Financial Aid
Financing a college education can be challenging. At HCC, we've designed these seven steps to help keep you on track during the process. Please contact the HCC Financial Aid Office with any questions.
ONE: Apply for your 4-digit PIN at is www.pin.ed.gov.
- Do this if you are completing the FAFSA for the first time.
- If you’ve had financial aid in the past, use your previously established PIN.
- If you’ve forgotten your PIN, at this website, you can reestablish your PIN or request a duplicate PIN that can be shown to you on the computer screen.
TWO: Gather information needed to properly fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form.
- The prior year’s tax return. For example, to apply for Financial Aid for the 2012-2013 school year, you will need the 2011 tax return of the student and parent.
- Prior year’s W-2 of the student and parent.
THREE: If you have access to the Internet, you can visit http://www.fafsa.gov to fill out an online version of the FAFSA form.
- HCC School Code: 001921
- Properly fill out and complete the required sections of the 2012-2013 FAFSA form.
- Carefully read and answer each question on the FAFSA form to avoid any delays in processing your application.
- On the right side of the computer screen are helpful hints to know where to look on your taxes for the answer to each question or for clarification.
FOUR: If the Financial Aid office notifies you that you have been selected for verification
- Complete and sign the HCC Financial Aid Application (student and parent).
- Complete and sign the verification worksheet (student and parent).
- Promptly submit any additional forms requested to the Financial Aid office.
FIVE: When you have received your Financial Aid award letter in the mail, return a signed and dated copy to the Financial Aid office.
SIX: If you accepted loans in your award letter, click here to complete Entrance Counseling (first time borrowers only) and sign your Master Promissory Note (everyone)
SEVEN: Contact the Financial Aid office at HCC to verify the status of your financial aid.
· Amy Lackey (HCC Highland Campus)
· Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Phone: 785-442-6023
· Fax: 785-442-6106
· Stephanie Peterson (HCC Tech Center)
· Email: email@example.com
· Phone: 913-367-6204
· Fax: 913-367-3107