Highland Community College is proud to have a robust relationship with Ag Partners and receive... Read More
Kansas/Nebraska PTK Region Hallmark Awardspublished April 19, 2021
Advisors Margy Heddens and Harry Moeller of the Alpha Zeta Gamma chapter (Main Campus) of Highland Community College went to the campus of Labette Community College in Parsons, Kansas, from April 8 through 10 for the Kansas/Nebraska Region conference which had a limited number of people in attendance while most attended via Zoom. The Phi Theta Kappa International Convention was held over those same dates as a virtual conference. The Alpha Zeta Gamma chapter received a number of awards as follows:
1) Five Star Chapter Plan
- Phi Theta Kappa chapters can reach various levels of achievement based on their activities and accomplishments over the previous calendar year, ranging from a 1 star to a 5 star level. The Alpha Zeta Gamma chapter is a Five Star Chapter for the sixth year in a row.
2) 2020 REACH Chapter
- Phi Theta Kappa recognizes chapters in the area of membership development what a chapter reaches a member acceptance rate of 15% or higher. The Alpha Zeta Gamma chapter received 3 graduation stoles for this achievement. Our chapter has received this recognition for the fourth year in a row.
3) Honors Case Study Challenge
- As part of our chapter’s activities to achieve 5 star status, our chapter looked at human impact on the environment regarding the effects of invasive species. We did research looking at a possible solution in having these species served as dishes in restaurants (such as lion fish) which helps to control these species and provide economic benefits. The Alpha Zeta Gamma chapter received a certificate for Distinguished Participant.
4) Sister Chapter Award
- Our chapter received a 2nd place certificate for our activities with the Alpha Tau Tau chapter of Central Community College – Grand Island campus (Nebraska).
5) Distinguished Chapter Officer Award
- Alpha Zeta Gamma chapter president Cassidy Goering received a 5th place certificate.
6) Horizon Award
- This award is given by the regional coordinator to chapter advisors who have made significant contributions to the Kansas/Nebraska Region in the previous year. Advisor Margy Heddens received this award for being a member of the Kansas/Nebraska Region Advisory Council who provides input to the Regional Coordinator and helps to organize the advisor meetings at the regional conferences.
At the International Convention, the Tau Theta Chapter of Labette Community College was the winner of the Most Distinguished Chapter Award given based on the quality of their College Project and Honors in Action Project, beating out the other 1,300 chapters of Phi Theta Kappa! This is equivalent to winning a Super Bowl or NCAA championship. Tammy Fuentez is the chapter advisor and is also the Kansas/Nebraska Regional coordinator in addition to her position as Vice President of Student Services at Labette Community College. This is an amazing and well deserved accomplishment.
Also, the Alpha Zeta Gamma chapter had a virtual induction ceremony on Tuesday, March 30, presided over by chapter president Cassidy Goering, vice president Tanner Holte, and advisor Harry Moeller. The following Alpha Zeta Gamma chapter members were inducted into Phi Theta Kappa:
Jorge Burgos Feliz
Nicole Franco Herrell
Manmoin Eulalie Kouadio