The Practical Nursing program at Highland Community College Technical Center prepares students for employment as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Students will obtain the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to succeed in passing the National Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN). Students will complete a nine-month course of study.
Licensed Practical Nurses play an important role in performing tasks in a variety of settings including long-term care facilities, doctor's offices, correctional facilities, hospitals and many more medical venues. Licensed Practical Nurses work under the direction of Registerd Nurses, advanced practice personnel and physicians. Some LPNs choose to continue their education toward Registered Nurse (RN).
Pre-Requisites for PN Program
Students are required to be a CNA (certified nursing assistant) and take the following hours prior to entering the PN Program:
- Human Growth and Development-3 credit hours
Human Anatomy & Human Physiology with lab - minimum of 5 credit hours. (There is a 7 year expiration date. If over 7 years, please contact the Nursing Department.)
- BS104 Human Anatomy with lab- 4 credit hours
- BS105 Human Physiology with lab- 4 credit hours
PN students begin classes each August and finish in May. Applications are due by April 1 each year. Forty students are accepted into the PN program each year. Students should contact the nursing department to obtain an informational packet with comprehensive application requirements.
Applicant's file must containt the following in order to interview:
- Application with correct major/program and semester (select practical nursing and fall.)
- Teas V Test: Minimum average score of 58.7%. Bring photo ID, arrive 15 minutes prior to start time, plan on two plus hours, fee is $40. Call (913) 367-6204, ext. 138 for open test dates
- Work Keys Scores: Level 5 for Math and level 6 for Reading. Plan on two plus hours for these tests. Fee is $10 for each test for a total of $20.
- CNA certification in Kansas or its equivalent if from another state. This must be current.
- Proof of graduation from high school or completion of GED.
- Letter of reference (form provided in information packet) from most recent employer that recommends applicant.
- Transcripts verifying C or better grades for these college courses: Anatomy & Physiology (minimum of 5 credit hours with lab) and Human Growth and Development (3 credit hours).
The Selection Process is Point Driven:
An applicant’s file is complete when items 1-7 are in his/her file. Applicants whose files are complete are scheduled for the group interview around April 1st. As part of the interview, applicants will be given points for punctuality, attire, and the writing sample. A point system is used to determine the best qualified applicants who are then sent letters of acceptance. These individuals must respond to their acceptance letter by the date indicated in the letter. Failure to return the acceptance by the date provided will result in the loss of a position in the class.
Additional Points Award for the following: CNA (<6 month), CMA, College English, College or Intermediate Algebra.
All application materials must be in the nursing office by April 1. Applicants will be directed as to how to obtain a criminal background check and a drug screen in the acceptance letter. Nursing applicants must be 18 years old by graduation from the Practical Nursing Program and able to perform the physical and mental activities required of nurses.
Come visit our Practical Nursing Program to see if we are the right fit for you! Call us at 913-367-6204 to schedule your visit.
Here are a few helpful resources:
|NUR106||KSPN Foundation of Nursing||4|
|NUR122||KSPN Medical-Surgical Nursing I||4|
|NUR126||KSPN Foundation of Nursing Clinical||2|
|NUR127||KSPN Medical-Surgical Nursing Clinical I||3|
|Total for First Semester||19|
|NUR156||KSPN Mental Health Nursing||2|
|NUR157||KSPN Maternal Child Nursing||2|
|NUR159||KSPN Medical-Surgical Nursing II||4|
|NUR162||Critical Thinking in Nursing||2|
|NUR163||Leadership and Management||2|
|NUR168||KSPN Maternal Child Nursing Clinical||1|
|NUR170||KSPN Medical-Surgical Nursing Clinical II||3|
|Total for Second Semester||19|
|Total Credits for Certificate||38|